JAUNDICE & YOUR WELLNESS
Jaundice is a yellow discoloration of the skin, mucous membranes, and the whites of the eyes caused by increased amounts of bilirubin in the blood. Jaundice is a sign of an underlying disease process.
Bilirubin is a by-product of the daily natural breakdown and destruction of red blood cells in the body. The hemoglobin molecule that is released into the blood by this process is split, with the theme portion undergoing a chemical conversion to bilirubin. Normally, the liver metabolizes and excretes the bilirubin in the form of bile. However, if there is a disruption in this normal metabolism and/or production of bilirubin, jaundice.
Symptoms of jaundice: Symptoms
- Yellowish discoloration of the eyes, skin and nail
- Lack of appetite
- Burning sensation in the body
- Low-grade fever
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of libido
- Yellowing of mucous membranes in the mouth and nose.
- Stools (faeces or poo) can be pale in colour and urine dark in colour.
- Some underlying conditions, which lead to jaundice, may feel like flu, and may also result in fever, chills, stomach pain, itching or weight-loss or be without an explanation such as a diet.
Causes of jaundice:
When red blood cells break down naturally in a 120-day cycle, bilirubin is produced as a waste by product.The journey bilirubin takes out of the body’s waste disposal systems takes it carried by blood to the liver. There is it combined with bile (digestive fluid) from the gallbladder. This mixture exits the body through faeces and urine. If everything is working well, faeces should be brown and urine light yellow.
Infections or damage can disrupt this process, leading to jaundice.
Ayurvedic treatment of Jaundice involves pacifying aggravated body energies using herbs that stimulate the function of the liver and increase the flow of bile in the bile duct. Digestion is also restored with the help of a customized diet plan to ensure efficient metabolism.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
Diet Chart for Jaundice Patients
After the juice fast, the patient may adopt an all-fruit diet for further three to five days. In this regimen, he should have three meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as apples, pears, grapes, oranges and pineapples, but no bananas. Thereafter a simple diet may be resumed on the following lines:
Upon arising: A glass of warm water with juice of half a lemon.
Breakfast: One fresh juicy fruit such as apple, pear, mango, papaya, or some grapes, or berries. One cup wheat broken wheat or one slice of whole meal bread with a little butter.
Mid-morning: Orange or pear juice.
Lunch: Raw vegetable salad, two small wheat tortilla of whole wheat flour, a steamed leafy vegetable such a. Spinach, fenugreek or carrot and a glass of buttermilk.
Mid-afternoon: Coconut water or apple juice.
Dinner: One cup strained vegetable soup, two wheat tortilla of whole meal, baked potato and one other leafy vegetable like fenugreek seeds, spinach, etc.
Before retiring: A glass of hot skimmed milk with honey if desired.
All fats like clarified butter, butter, cream and oils must be avoided for at least two weeks, and after that butter and olive oil may be included in the diet but their consumption should be kept down to the minimum. A light carbohydrate diet, with exclusion of fats, best obtained from vegetables and fruits should be taken.
The patient should take plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit juices. Dandelion leaves, radishes with leaves, en dive should be added to the daily raw vegetable salad. Raw al3ples and pears are especially beneficial. Barley water, drunk several times during the day, is considered a good remedy for jaundice. One cup of barley should be boiled in six pints of water and simmered for three hours.
Digestive disturbances must be avoided. No food with a tendency to ferment or putrefy in the lower intestines like pulses and legumes should be included in the diet. Drinking a lot of water with lemon juice will protect the damaged liver cells.
- Avoid hot, spicy, oily, and heavy foods; eat a vegetarian diet.
- Avoid refined flour, polished rice (white rice), mustard oil, mustard seeds, asafetida, peas, canned and preserved foods, cakes, pastries, chocolates, alcoholic beverages, and aerated drinks.
- Increase intake of whole-wheat flour, brown rice or parboiled rice, mangoes, bananas, tomatoes, spinach, potatoes, Indian gooseberries (amla), grapes, radishes, lemons, dried dates, raisins, almonds, and cardamom.
- Avoid unnecessary exercise and stressful conditions such as anxiety or anger.
- Take complete rest.
- Avoid working under the sun or near boilers and furnaces.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of roasted barley powder with a glass of water. Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and have this twice a day.
- Add 1 teaspoon paste of basil leaves to a glassful of radish juice. Have this juice twice a day for 15-20 days.
- Take one teaspoon pulp of Indian Aloe Vera with black salt and dry ginger powder every morning for a period of 10 days.
- Mash bitter gourd and extract its juice. Take one-fourth cup of the juice in the early morning daily.
There are certain supplements which help repair damaged liver and all sorts of Jaundicesigns and symptoms and they are as follows:
Detox L (Liver Formula)
Liver & detoxification management.
Key ingredients & their benefits:
- Pittapapad, Bhringraaj & Guduchi Helps rejuvenates fatty and sluggish liver cells
and ignite detoxification.
- Kalmegh helps activate antioxidant enzymes that catalyze the reaction of oxidants and are effective in severe liver damage.
- Neruri & Punarnava improves urinary tracts and helps detoxify overall body. They also helps protect from drug, pollution and alcohol borne toxicity.
(Liver, kidneys & prostate care and Detoxification support.)
- A well researched formulation to help detoxify whole body by improving the functions of liver, kidneys and urinary tract.
It also supports to regulate metabolism to help in obesity.
- Helps rejuvenates fatty and sluggish liver to ignite detoxification.
- Provides nutrition in urinary tract infection, renal failure, and liver apses etc.
- Helps protect from drug, pollution and alcohol borne toxicity.
- Also helps address kidney stone.
VarunChhal helps balance spleen. Punarnava, kulthi & Yavkshar rejuvenates kidneys and urinary tract. Gokshur,Neruri & PashanBhed helps improve urinary tract and also strengthen Liver. Pittapapad, Bhringraaj & Makoy help addressing infections in the liver improve its function. Vayvidanga address liver enlargements and low fire in the liver.