Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) & Your Wellness
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
- Change in bowel movement patterns
- Bloating and excess gas
- Pain the lower belly
- Mucus in stools
- Nausea / headache
- Poor appetite/ tiredness
- Backache / muscle pains
- Feeling quickly full after eating
- Bladder symptoms( an associated irritable bladder)
- Heartburn / belching
The Ayurvedic Approach:
IBS is called as Grahani in Ayurveda. Grahani is the seat of Agni (Digestive fire) and is called so because of holding up the food. Normally, it holds up the food (till it is digested) and releases it from the side after it is digested. But when it is deranged due to weak digestive fire it releases the ingested material (Ama) even in unripe condition. It would result in symptoms such as – thirst, lassitude, debility, delayed digestion, spasms, alternate diarrhea / constipation and heaviness in body.
Grahani (IBS) is such a disease where with much precaution in diet, lifestyle and using herbs you can keep it in check. There are plenty of things you can do to take some of the irritability out of your bowels.
- Try changing your diet.
- Avoid excess tea, coffee, alcohol, cola, and carbonated beverages.
- You should eat slowly and in a relaxed environment as possible don’t eat during indigestion, or eating irregularly.
- Avoid intake of unsuitable food, heavy, cold, contaminated or too sweet food, which is heavy to digest.
- Omit strong spices; too oily i.e. fried food, fatty foods, and flatus alleviating foods.
- Tobacco should be eliminated entirely. Avoid all forms of tobacco, including smoking, chewing or snuffing.
- Diet adjustments are not enough to improve your bowel function and avoid IBS. It is important to eliminate nervous tension if possible. Relieve your anxiety and stress by adjusting your life style. Most of those measures are the things we should all do for better health anyway.
- Train your bowel, as this is also an important part of managing irritable bowel symptoms, when the problem is mostly constipation.
- Don’t suppress the urge of urine & stool.
- Take fiber rich diet in case of constipation.
There are certain herbs which helps in preventing all sorts Irritable Bowel Syndrome and they are:
AEGLE MARMELOS (BEALPHAL)
- Bael, also known as bilwa is a vital tree in Indian cultures this tree has many medicinal properties. The fruit is hard, woody and smooth with sweet flesh inside that can be consumed fresh or dried. Contains protein, beta-carotene, vitamins, thiamine, riboflavin
- Bael cure gastric ulcers that are caused due to the imbalance of mucosa levels or oxidative stress in gastric tract. The phenolic compounds present in this juice are filled with antioxidants to reduce gastric ulcers.
- In Ayurveda, this is said to cure diarrhea and dysentery without fever.
HOLARRHENA ANTIDYSENTERICA (KUTAJ)
- It is a very famous herb used in treating diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome etc.
- It helps to remove excess of Pitta (Fire) and Kapha (Water) from intestine. It’s astringent and cooling property soothe the mucous membrane of body, promotes intestinal health and comfortable.
- Severe forms of diarrhea and dysentery can be cured with the regular use of kutza .
- Gives prominent results in case of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Ulcerative colitis has been treated and its side effects reduced with regular prolong used of kutza ghan vati
- It is a very useful herb for the proper functioning of intestines.
And the above mentioned herbs are present in product range of Herbalage named Bowelaid.
Bowelaid is formulated combining the most sacred herbs explained in Ayurveda to treat chronic Irritable Bowel Syndrome and long-term constipation.
- Helps treat chronic IBS, constipation, Indigestion, colitis, dyspepsia and hyperacidity.
- Addresses GI ulcers, chronic diarrhea, chronic giardiasis, amoebic and bacterial dysentery.
- Helps absorb nutrition and successful elimination of stool in routine.
- Lubricates and soothes the bowel and prevent from developing other chronic diseases such as ulcers, piles and fistula etc.